Posted by & filed under Immigration Law.

The U visa: help for non-citizen victims of crime

A U visa or U non-immigrant status is sometimes issued to people who are not United States citizens or permanent residents, but who have been fatalities of certain crimes committed on US territory.

This means in effect that a person who is a proven victim may be able to change their immigration status by applying for a U visa.

Lawful status

Holders of a U visa have four years of lawful status in the country, four years of authorization to work, and the opportunity to apply for permanent residence status.

There is even the possibility that an individual facing deportation may be granted a U visa and therefore the opportunity to stay in the country, although it should be noted that cases such as these are subject to stringent individual evaluation.

Continue Reading about U Visa for Victims of Crime.